“Taking part in the UPLIFT Program through Epilepsy Ontario was a fantastic experience. UPLIFT provided me with highly useful tools to better deal with the anxiety and doubt which revolves around living with Epilepsy.”
“Using Practice and Learning to Increase Favourable Thoughts” (UPLIFT) is a mindfulness-based cognitive behavioural therapy program that improves depression, anxiety, and overall psychological quality of life.
What to expect:
- 8 1-hour virtual group sessions focused on developing mindfulness skills that reduce depression and anxiety.
- Sessions co-led by a registered social worker and a lay facilitator living with epilepsy.
- Other group members living with epilepsy.
- 1 to 2 hours of ‘homework’ assignments between sessions, to build skills.
Sessions are pre-scheduled and happen at the same time each week, for 8 weeks.
We run groups for adults with epilepsy and groups for parents or guardians of people with epilepsy.
Groups of 5-8 participants meet virtually for an hour once a week for 8 weeks. The group is co-facilitated by a mental-health professional and a person with lived experience.
The sessions review different ways living with epilepsy can affect mental health and teaches valuable coping strategies. Some topics include coping and relaxing, monitoring thoughts, and preventing future low moods.
A pilot project found that UPLIFT participants had improved depression, anxiety, and psychological quality of life – even a full year after they finished the program.
We have new groups starting every 2-3 months.
Contact us to find out more about the program or to sign up below.
- be at least 18 years old
- be struggling with depression or anxiety.
- AND EITHER have epilepsy, seizures, or a seizure disorder
- OR be a parent or guardian of someone with epilepsy, seizures, or a seizure disorder