Filing a Complaint

If you feel that you may have been discriminated against, but you’re not sure whether there was a violation according to the Ontario Human Rights Code, you can contact Epilepsy Ontario as well as the Ontario Human Rights Legal Support Centre where you can speak to a Human Rights Advisor (see below). You could also find more information at the Ontario Human Rights Commission and the Human Rights Tribunal’s FAQ.

Every person with epilepsy must understand the laws upholding fair treatment in the workplace. You have rights. Fight for them!

If you have encountered a situation in which your human rights were violated and you’re interested in filing a human rights complaint, this page will briefly describe the process of doing so.

Step-by-Step Guide

1. Get the application

First, you need to file an application to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario (HRTO). You might be referred to as an “appellant” from this point on. You can obtain the application on the HRTO’s website, as well as guides to help you through the process in more detail.

2. Complete the application

Complete the application. If you haven’t already, you may want to seek assistance and advice from the Ontario Human Rights Legal Support Centre. Its services are free across the province. You can also or alternatively get help from a community legal clinic, a private lawyer, or another legal service that you trust.

In the application you will need to include essential information such as who they believe is responsible for the discrimination/violation of rights – there can be more than one party named. (These parties are referred to as “respondents” and they will receive a copy of the application as soon as it is accepted for processing.)

You also need to provide a detailed, first-person account (for example, “I experienced discrimination”). You’ll also need to name important witnesses and documents that you have on-hand, and also explain why each witness can help prove your case. On the form you can also identify anyone who might be affected by the application, such as a union you belong to.

3. Submit the application

Your application should be completed and filed within 1 year of the date on which the discrimination you faced occurred; if there was more than one occasion from the same party, use the latest event as your guideline. Applications that are filed after a year won’t be accepted unless there’s a good reason why it was late and there are no negative repercussions for other parties involved.

You can submit the application through mail, fax, or e-mail; you can also do it online through their website.

For more detailed information, you can also see the HRTO’s FAQ page. To learn more about your human rights, you can refer to this brochure by the OHRC.

For more information

Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
Toronto, ON
Toll-free: 1-866-598-0322
[email protected]

Human Rights Legal Support Centre
Toronto, Ontario
(416) 597-4900
Toll Free: 1-866-625-5179
Consult their FAQ before contacting them: click here

Ontario Human Rights Commission
Toronto, Ontario
Toll free: 1-800-387-9080
[email protected]