We may have a long way to go before everyone knows the facts about epilepsy, but progress is underway! Epilepsy and seizure disorders are slowly making their way into the media. Peruse the links below for some excellent articles that shed light on this often misunderstood brain condition.
The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Health Minister announced mandatory reporting requirements for manufacturers who will experience drug shortages. The Canadian Epilepsy Alliance has advocated for several years. It is a significant step in the right direction. Click below for media coverage:
Brain Health – The National Post featured a special insert on brain health, including articles on epilepsy. .
Canada AM: Drugs shortages in Canada – Canadian Medical Association President, Dr. Louis Hugo Francescutti, highlights the serious implications and effects on people’s lives when epilepsy medications are not available.
How I learned to Confront My Epilepsy – The Huffington Post
Epilepsy Ontario – Letter to Editor re: SIU Report on Police Killing of Michael MacIsaac
SIU clears officer who shot Michael MacIsaac to death – Toronto Star
Busting Myths About Epilepsy – The Huffington Post
Epilepsy Ottawa: Through the Eye of a Volunteer – The Huffington Post
Why I Speak Up About Living With Epilepsy – The Huffington Post
5 Things You Need To Know About Epilepsy – The Huffington Post
Undiagnosed Epilepsy Made People Think I Was Acting Out – The Huffington Post
Global TV news reporter, Mark McAllister, experienced a seizure during a live news broadcast in 2011. After receiving his disagnosis and thanks to a supportive employer, Global TV and the support he received from Epilepsy Toronto, Mark has taken the courageous step in speaking publicly about his epilepsy in an effort to create greater awareness and understanding. Whitney Ghoustone, a young mom who has had epilepsy surgery and become seizure free is also featured and tells her story too. Check out the links below:
|Apr 16|| Mark McAllister Tells His Story of Living with Epilepsy
- Global News
|Mar 08|| Global Reporter Mark McAllister Opens up About His Epilepsy
- Toronto Star
|Mar 07||Global News’ Five-Part Series: Inside Epilepsy
- Global News
- Healthzone: “Canadians living with epilepsy feel isolated, lack proper treatment”
- The Chronicle Journal: “Epilepsy Run Highlights Need Support”
- CHEX-TV (Peterborough affiliate of the CBC Television network) – Warning: The following two video reports contain graphic scenes from the surgery.
- Owen Sound Sun Times: “Shine On a tribute to wife’s untimely death” (July 22)
- London Community News: “Peddling for SUDEP” (July 18)
- Niagara This Week: “A ride to remember Olly” (July 16)
- Minden Times: “Epilepsy run dedicated to local teen” (July 2)
- The Sault Star: “No warning – Better services needed for families coping with epilepsy”
- CTV News: “Some with Epilepsy Struggle with Un-Employment”
- Toronto Star: “Grand mal seizure taken in stride” (July 14)
- Bloor West Villager: “Musician changes his tune” (August 9)