If a seizure occurs while a person is in the water, follow these procedures.
While in the water
- Turn the person face up.
- Support the face out of the water.
- Tilt head back to keep airway clear.
- Get the person out of the water as soon as possible.
Once out of the water
- Place person on their side.
- Check to see if person is breathing.
- If the person is not breathing, begin resuscitation promptly.
- Call an ambulance immediately. This is essential.
After the emergency
- Ensure that the person has a medical check-up promptly. (Inhaling or swallowing water may cause medical problems.)